Humor is considered one of the most effective tools for measuring the quality of any relationship. If laughter exists then you can assume that the relationship is a healthy one. When the laughter ends, you can be certain that the relationship is downward. This laughter barometer can be applied to any relationship at home, at work and for play. Laughter means you are having fun and fun means that things are going good .. Take a look at the relationships around you. Do couples laugh a lot together? Has laughter stopped in some of your relationships?
Here are some ideas you can use to ensure that laughter remains an evergreen reality in your relationships and thus ensure their quality and endurance. Remember that it may take time before comedic relationships start, but the results will be worth the effort. Start slowly by working on your fun loving, happy nature. Laughter and jokes are contagious so it won’t be long before others catch the bug.
* Remember that your sense of humor is learned, not inherited.
* Committed to becoming a Humor Hound. Look for humor everywhere. When something makes you laugh, enjoy it. Let the laughter flow. Missed it after the fun event and enjoy it and laugh again.
* Start creating an atmosphere of humor and laughter in your relationships. Try to enjoy and share humor as often as possible.
* If you don’t laugh as much as you used to and want to make the situation right, start connecting with comical, fun-loving people and avoid collapse.
* Learn to laugh at yourself. If you do not, you leave the work to others.
* Look for fun items in your newspaper and cut and share them. I remember reading the advertisement one night and searching for this gem: “The successful applicant must have 203 years of experience.” The author apparently meant 2 or 3 years of experience. I immediately cut it down and put it in my collection for future use.
* Encourage others to share your humor. When they do, listen and appreciate it. When someone sees that you have enjoyed their comic contribution they will be eager to continue sharing.
* In my all-day humor workshops, I always ask participants to break up into groups and start sharing the fun things that have ever happened to them. The laughter that this simple activity generates is a beholding joy. Try your friends for some time.
* Collect cartoons and jokes and put them on display on the fridge or bulletin board. Avoid racist, sexist or dirty humor. Very good clean humor to go around without resorting to these. Remember that there is a difference between dirty and earthy humor. I personally like clay humor. I don’t appreciate dirty stuff.
* Watch comedy movies and television programs as often as possible.
* Use humor to neutralize conflict in your relationships. When things get stressful, use self-portraiture humor to lighten things up. I remember that one evening I had an argument with my wife, Carol. In the heat of the moment she said something completely to the character. He said something hurt. To my surprise I looked at him and said, “Carol, when you say things that you stop at my level.” She started laughing and I did it. Before things do not return to normal.
Good luck on your journey to haha land.